Superfood Quinoa Bowl
Life is all about balance, we search for it in everything we do, from how much we work to the simple ingredients in our food, and that’s why this week’s Quinoa Superfood Bowl from UCOOK hits home so well. Individually the ingredients are pretty simple but put them all together in a bowl with some dressing and they all come to life.
We’ve always been about raw ingredients to keep the nutritional value of things high, but frying the kale brought an entirely new depth of flavour to this salad bowl, bringing out the sweetness of kale rather than the bitterness everyone seems to associate with this incredible leaf. We LOVE textures, and even having things sliced differently brings a whole new dimension to a salad. The contrast of the creamy feta, sweet cranberries and the lightness of zucchini ribbons complement each other well, topping off the bowl beautifully.
Seeds are a little powerhouse ingredient when it comes to salads, and toasting them, in the end, elevates the entire dish away from just an ordinary salad. The quinoa creates an amazing base for all of these little food relationships on our plate, while the Dijon mustard dressing ties them all together. We added a squeeze of lemon – you know how we feel about it by now – and topped off our salad with a few extra olives to help bring the salty tang factor.
This simple dish from UCOOK brought everything we love about good salads, from the creamy feta to the wonderful crunch of the toasted seeds. Be sure to order yours here and maybe keep a little aslide for lunch, as it keeps pretty well in the fridge.
- 200ml Quinoa
- 15ml Vegetable Stock
- 150g Kale
- 5g Dill
- 20g Sunflower Seeds
- 30g Cranberries
- 100g Feta Cheese
- 300g Zucchini
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 30ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 15ml Dijon Mustard
- 15ml Honey
- Place the quinoa and vegetable stock in a small pot that has a lid. Add 500ml water and stir to combine. Place on medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid, slightly askew and let simmer until cooked and the water has been absorbed, 15- 20 minutes.
- Place a pan over medium heat, add the sunflower seeds and dry toast until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside. Keep this pan for kale.
- In the meantime, wash and dry your kale. Tear the kale from the stems, and tear/cut into small bite-sized pieces. Place your pan over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil and sauté your kale for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Ribbon the zucchini using a vegetable peeler. Place in a large bowl. Finely chop the dill and add it to the zucchini. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, stir together the Salad Dressing ingredients with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season.
- Add the wilted kale and dressing in the bowl of dill and zucchini and toss to coat.
- When the quinoa is ready to remove from the heat, fluff it with a fork and season it further. Add to the
bowl with the dressed greens. Add half the cranberries and half of the drained feta. Toss well to combine and season further to taste.
- Plate up, top with the toasted sunflower seeds, remaining cranberries, and scatterings of remaining